The Data Engineer we seek will have an application development background utilizing strong API integration experience. Microsoft is the main stack across the business (Azure and BI) and your main tasks will be to code and configure Rest APIs, while also understanding the multiple databases and ETL’s that exist.
The position is best described as a ‘hybrid merge’ between software development and database development, the ratio of the split will be roughly 70:30. Therefore, this role will not suit someone who has only been a DBA or an ETL Developer.
You will ideally be someone who has solid SQL database skills, but who also possesses strong knowledge of technologies that are used for storing, moving and integrating systems. The organization is on a Cloud journey and their strategic view is to move their on-premise services to the cloud, using (PaaS) platform-as-a-service, you will play a big part in this.
A current project that will require immediate focus involves moving 10 of their core systems to Cloud services, in fact everything that they are deploying at the moment is being deployed into the Cloud.
Your first task as Data Engineer will be to build a system that connects APIs with a third party. You will work on integrating with these quickly and efficiently. It is worth noting that as of October 2021, (6x) more Data will flow between our client and a third party, so moving to the Cloud by this date will allow for flexibility and capability to increase the load.
As a Data Engineer, you will be joining a nimble team where people have multiple responsibilities. Day to day the role will involve deploying functions, reviewing API manager, troubleshooting and enhancing systems and querying in SQL. You are expected to code and create bespoke applications on a regular basis.
There are many SQL Server databases and so this person will need to understand databases and how to connect with and query them. Our client uses a variety of systems, they recently moved JIRA to JIRA Cloud for project management and use Splunk for monitoring industrial hazards. Splunk has 14 servers on-premise which will need to be migrated to Splunk Cloud.
You should expect minimal Database Development as this position will interact with an Information Analyst position that is responsible for ETL pipelines.
- Understanding SQL Server databases.
- Utilizing Splunk Cloud.
- Interacting with other in-house and external stakeholders through meetings and discussions.
- Understanding the complex challenges they have at hand.
- T-SQL database scripts and troubleshooting large data sets.
- Experience in T-SQL, plus other scripting languages like PowerShell.
- Experience in building Azure Data solutions.
- Experience in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
- Experience in design and data integration using Azure Functions and APIM.
- API integration experience.
- Cloud Computing Experience.
- Business Intelligence (BI) Solutions experience.
- 6-month contract
- Competitive daily rate
- Workplace flexibility
- An impressive office space located between Circular Quay and Wynyard station